Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Long Day is Over

I borrowed the title from Norah Jones, but that's exactly how I felt as I lay my head down on a guest bed at Aunt Mary's house last night.  It was a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng day, but a success according to all doctors and nurses involved.  

I had planned to drive up yesterday morning before dad's surgery to wish him well, but as I slept the night before, plans were changed and his surgery was moved to the first one of the day.  I guess so I wouldn't worry or try to drive too early, my parents elected not to tell me this tidbit, so by the time I was up and moving things were already in process!  I wasn't mad, but it didn't necessarily slow my driving ;)

He was already back for prepping when I got to Dothan, so I sat in the waiting room with my family and waited, waited, waited.  He did just fine!  Not sure exactly how long the surgery lasted but phonecall to phonecall was nearly 5 hours.  (plenty long in my opinion)  Now the fun part begins, and he's already back to some of his ways.  He spoke to us precious little yesterday, but that's to be expected - not too surprising the first thing he asked me specifically about was Otis.  How do you like that?!  With his good progress, we're hoping he moves to a regular room and out of ICU today, and hopefully home over the weekend.  The doctor and nurses all assure us he is doing spectacularly.

Thank you all for your prayers, and I'll go ahead and ask for more, because he's gonna need all he can get over the coming weeks!  Recovery is tough, but for this guy it's gonna be tougher.  He already wants to know when he can play golf again, and he's worried about things at work...but those things will just have to wait for now.  SO thankful things are looking up.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment